You've found the home on the net for romance writer, LaVerne Clark. Thanks for visiting! :)

I write suspense and light fantasy/paranormal set in the beautiful country of New Zealand. A land of myths and magic, Aotearoa (Maori for Long White Cloud) has always been a storytelling nation and it is my pleasure to share mine with you.

Make yourself your drink of choice, stay a while and feel free to leave comments. I love to meet new friends.



Heartpounding suspense and fantasy Downunder



Sunday, May 8, 2011

Bernice Taylor - A True Wonderwoman



Everyone thinks their mum is the best, but I really DO have the very best one there is - and I'll tell you why.



For starters - just look at her. She is beautiful isn't she? : ) But her beauty is not just on the outside. Mum is the kind of person others are drawn to instantly. As my brothers and I were growing up, our house was the communal meeting house for all the kids. With four children plus their friends, you can imagine the noise - and mess that goes hand-in-hand with
that many bodies lounging around.


But mess has never bothered my Mum. She'd much rather have a messy home filled with laughter, than a quiet house with the occupants too afraid to move anything out of place, or, God forbid, leave crumbs behind on pristine surfaces! Being only 17 years older than my oldest brother and his friends, it wasn't unusual to find her lending an ear to teenage angst from both the guys and girls. I'm sure she has saved many from going down that dark path of no return, just by being there and listening in that non-judgemental way she has.

My parents also have one of the strongest marriages I know of and is one us kids aspire to for our own. I credit each of our relationship's surviving the tough times by my parent's example of how married life should be. Married for 37 years now, they've been together since their teens and have weathered the storm of life, even with huge odds thrown at them from time to time. Although not always a bed of roses, they'v
e shown us that love really does conquer all and as long as you stay best friends and hold on to each other when things are hard, you will come through it intact and stronger than ever.

Speaking of best friends, my Mum is mine and I'm so proud and lucky to call her that. She has been there to mop up my tears when I was bullied at school, cuddled me and listened during a painful breakup with the boy I loved (who later became my husband after seeing the error of his ways!) and most recently, flew down to be with me while I was so sick and
having to make the most awful decision of my life because of it. Although I had my husband there
also, there is nothing like having your Mum to hold and comfort you when things are bad. She cried with me and held my hand throughout and I am forever grateful to have had her by my side. Not once did she waver from being the rock I needed. She has all the time in the world for me and my family, even while running a very successful, award-winning Motel which is a 24 hour operation.

So - that is my Mum in a nut-shell. But of course, she is so much more than that, but mere words can't describe what an amazing person she is. When I grow up, I want to be just like my Mum and I hope I can be the Mum to my own children that mine is to me. That is quite something to live up to!

Thank you for everything and Happy Mother's day!
Love you Mum, xxxx

6 comments:

  1. I agree, LaVerne. Your mum is absolutely beautiful...inside and out. I love her smile. When I saw her picture, her warm open smile just made me smile right back at her. You're very blessed and so is she to have a wonderful daughter like you. Cheers, my friend! And I hope both you and your mum have a delightful Mother's Day.

    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, how does one answer such a tribute from such a beloved daughter! Tears streamed down my face as I read your lovely words. Thank you child of my heart - you are the light of my life.
    Mum xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Her smile does strike you like that doesn't it Maeve? Ma was meant to have all my brothers around for dinner tonight (the boy's idea!) so I'm sure she had a lovely night. I live a plane-ride away in the other island of NZ, so not the easiest to catch up face-to-face unfortunately. This is why her coming to be with me at a moments notice is so special and so appreciated. It's not cheap, but that never comes into the equation.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Ma! Great to see you here. Hope your Mother's Day was very special and the boys treated you how you deserve - like a Queen! If not, I'll have to come and sort them out! : )

    Aren't we so very lucky to have each other? I'm so glad to have you in my life. Thank you for being you, xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your mum is one lucky woman to have such a sweet daughter.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What happened to the third photo I'd like to know?! Its disappeared!

    ReplyDelete