You've found the home on the net for romance writer, LaVerne Clark. Thanks for visiting! :)

I write suspense and light fantasy/paranormal set in the beautiful country of New Zealand. A land of myths and magic, Aotearoa (Maori for Long White Cloud) has always been a storytelling nation and it is my pleasure to share mine with you.

Make yourself your drink of choice, stay a while and feel free to leave comments. I love to meet new friends.



Heartpounding suspense and fantasy Downunder



Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Frugal Fortnight

This post has absolutely NOTHING to do with writing, but rather, to do with a fantastic book I've discovered and a website community I belong to called Simple Savings. In these hard economic times, a website like this is invaluable and I wanted to share my recent story when I applied the basic principals of "the rules" in The $21 Challenge book. Although I spent more than $21, it was still a significant savings for us.


My hubby and I had been shocked at how quickly our Visa bill had sky-rocketed, and with him being the sole bread-winner with me at home with the children, we needed to find some money from somewhere, or rein some back in somehow.

I've always shopped on a tight budget for groceries, it's what you do on a single income, but then I wondered if with the help of the book, I might be able to do better. So I set about a quick stock-take of the freezer, pantry and garden and planned a fortnight of meals from there. I was shocked at how easy it was, even without a freezer bursting with meat. We've eaten well, (if a little unconventional at times!) and best of all, I managed to save us $130 for the fortnight!

Here is the list of our meals for your interest.

WEDNESDAY
Breakfast - Toast and cereal
                           Lunch - Meat and coleslaw sandwiches
                           Dinner - Baked Potatoes with Bacon/Cheese sauce and a side of coleslaw
THURSDAY
Breakfast - Toast and cereal
Lunch - Leftover dinner from Wednesday
Sandwiches for the children
Dinner - Pancakes
FRIDAY
Breakfast - Toast and cereal
Lunch - Baked beans and egg on toast
Dinner - Pumpkin soup and homemade Pizza bread
SATURDAY
Breakfast - Toast and cereal
Lunch - Pumpkin soup and cheese toasties
Dinner - Chicken wraps and oven fries (both homemade)
SUNDAY
Breakfast - Bacon and Eggs
Lunch - scrambled eggs
Dinner - Thai chicken soup and homemade pizzas
MONDAY
Breakfast - Toast and cereal
Lunch - Soup and toasted Sandwiches
Dinner - Smoked chicken pasta
TUESDAY
Breakfast - Toast and cereal
Lunch - Left over pasta
Dinner - Spaghetti Bolognase

SNACKS (home baking): Popcorn, orange loaf, biscuits, cheese crunchies, fruit, chocolate slice

2ND WEEK - much the same with the exceptions below
WEDNESDAY
  Dinner - Shepherds Pie (left-over Bolognese)
THURSDAY
Dinner - Fried rice with Chicken
SATURDAY
Dinner - Pancakes
SUNDAY
Omelets and homemade chips
TUESDAY
Sausages, Mashed potato and vegetables

SNACKS - As the week previous

So, there we go. Most of the meat we had in the freezer and the meat which was there, I stretched for two days worth of meals - either for lunch or dinner - and everything else, I made with my baking supplies. The only things I needed to buy was milk, bread, fruit and vegetables.

We ate well, had extra money to pay bills and I loved knowing what I was to cook for dinner that night. It also had the added benefit of reducing the"what am I going to do for dinner?" stress, making for a much more harmonious home! Think we'll be doing this every couple of months!



                         

12 comments:

  1. Laverne, this is brilliant. Thank you so much for sharing. My dh and I are in the same situation, and trying to save every single penny we can. Now I'm heading to the freezer to take stock!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you found it useful AJ - it's amazing when we find just how much we DO have.

    GOOD LUCK! : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi LaVerne - good on you! We keep chickens - the original idea being for good health and savings, but those chickens have taken us over and I swear it costs us $10 an egg. I'm going to dig into my freezer and follow your example.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're a smart cookie, that's for sure! Anthony,I bet you are very proud of your clever wife:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Leigh - chickens!! I've thought about this, but we're too close (proximity that is!) to our neighbours, and with a cat and greyhound as well, might not be the best idea : ) It could be carnage!
    A lot more people are doing this now though and having great success. I need to find someone who has an excess and buy off them. We go through HEAPS of eggs

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aww, Cherie - you're lovely! I can always count on you to boost my ego : ) xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great post Laverne - and off to check out that book now!

    Cheers,
    Shar

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Shar! If you do buy The $21 Challenge, I think it's cheaper through the Simple Savings website than through the bookstore - depending on postage.
    Hope you find it as useful as I have!

    ReplyDelete
  9. We are on a tight budget too, but I manage to feed three, with five in the weekends on $150 - $160 a fortnight. The first thing I do and stock up on meat, whatever is on special, buy fruits and veges, and what is left over goes on coffee, sugar, tea, flour etc.

    I make lunches for my boys, and we have a big homecooked meal every night. If I didn't get my meat and produce first, I think we would starve. There are many cool sites out there, another one to check out is http://120dollarsfoodchallenge.com/ which is in Australia, but great recipes there.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow Karen! That is an amazing achievement. I'm going to check out that website now. Another thing I've been thinking of doing is growing our own veges - just have to make the hubby clear out the area beside the shed which was our dumping ground for the hardfill when we built on to the house. Ahem...that was 2 years ago now...these things take time! : )

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Laverne
    I am a member of Simple Savings and have the book which I use regularly. Sure has saved a lot of money for us.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Ann!

    Lovely to see you here and there : ) I LOVE the internet.

    The $21 Challenge book has to be the best investment I've ever made. As a member of Simple Savings, I thought I didn't need it, but having it so handy means its in easy reach, condensed and is a constant reminder of just what I can achieve. Gotta love it!

    ReplyDelete